Tuesday 27 March 2012

March 27th, 2012

Today can be summed up in one word - stamps!

Having kept our eyes peeled for weeks today we finally found out the new 2012 stamp prices...oohhh there's some unhappy folks out there!  I suppose 60p for a first class stamp does seem a lot, especially when you ask for a book and it comes in at more than £7.00, but I just think it's such good value!  With fuel prices the way they are can you imagine how much it would cost you to drive your letter from the Scottish Highlands to Cornwall?!  An awful lot more than 60p!!

The one thing I do disagree with is the new scheme for pricing packets.  For those who haven't heard about it, a packet weighing anywhere between 0 and 750g will be one flat price.  It's an absolute winner if you're sending heavier things but for those selling small, light things it's pretty hideous.

It makes me worry about those of us with small, online businesses.  In some cases, especially for those people who make and sell textiles, postage (with packaging) will be at least half the prices of the products.  I have some brooches listed on my Etsy shop which, with the brooch pin on the back, are too big to be Large Letters, so on a £6.50 product you'll be paying £3.00 in P&P - I don't expect to be selling too many of those!!

Who knows, it may work out, but I really don't see this doing anything to boost online sales, for anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment