Monday 9 July 2012

July 9th, 2012

This morning, I faced war - Me vs The Sewing Machine!  I fear the sewing machine is winning though :-s

It's definitely not happy at the moment, don't know if it's the tension or what but the cotton underneath is snagging, coming through in huge chunks of thread and the needles are snapping. Scares the hell out of me, the Bang when a needle goes is shocking - I have some glasses which I don't wear because the prescription is a bit too strong, well I've taken as wearing them as goggles in case a needle goes when I'm on the machine!

My fear of sewing machines is definitely a valid one though.  I was always really confident on the machine, it was just like an extra arm to me!  Then when we were at college a friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, was doing some machine embroidery, moving the embroidery hoop round in circles, and I don't know how she managed it but she slipped and the needle went straight through her finger - straight through the nail and out of the other side.  I went into "teacher mode" in the immediate moment as we were in the room without a tutor but afterwards it really hit me, I just felt sick, so now I'm very wary of the machine!  Justifiably I think!

1 comment:

  1. Yup - I've sewn straight through my finger. Twice. On both occasions I was really tired and had been sewing for hours. The first time I was 17, cried, and my dad put the needle back together (to check there was none stuck in my finger) while my mum tended the wound. The second time I was older and just put a plaster on, replaced the needle and carried on sewing. It still hurt though and is definitely not to be recommended! Be careful :-)

    ReplyDelete