Monday 6 February 2012

February 6th, 2012

Finally back on a proper PC and not blogging on my phone...such a great facility but it drives me mad!  Not strickly "handmade" for Handmade Monday but definitely art!

Just got back from such a brilliant London trip, without question it's one of my favourite places to be, I literally could never be bored there!  I think perhaps I lived there in a former life because it makes me feel very at home, which is odd given I'm from the North East!

Anyways, the reason we were there was to see the Da Vinci exhibition at The National Gallery.  For those who don't know what it was about, due to how fragile the pieces are they are no longer moving them around so this was the last time that they will be shown as a collection.  I'm a massive Da Vinci fan so there was no way I was missing this one, so at stupid o'clock we headed into London to join the queue at watch the sunrise over the city.



I can honestly say I've never been so cold in my life.  As I posted yesterday the fountains were covered in icicles, the temperature was actually about -3 but with the wind-chill it was much, much colder.  6 HOURS later we were let into the gallery for tickets!  I know it sounds like madness but it honestly was so worth it, truly a once in a lifetime thing, and actually it was wonderful to see how many others turned out to queue too, literally thousands of people.




Can't say much about the exhibition as there aren't any words good enough!  Just outstanding, not only the paintings but the drawings too (truth be told I actually prefer the drawings)...to see the sketches and rough ideas that eventually became some of the most famosu paintings in the world really was something special, and to stand in front of the actual Madonna Of The Rocks was out of this world!  I'm honestly sorry for anyone who didn't see it!

A wonderful day finished with a walk back through London in the snow, a magical day!

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic pics and I am glad you enjoyed the exhibition - love your dedication for queuing in such cold weather. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds amazing. I just googled and it looks like it's ended now. What an amazing thing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You either love or hate London as it can be intimidating but no doubt early morning think the Capital at it's best. The exhibition sounds wonderful and good for you for an early start

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos and it sounds like a wonderful exhibition. Very impressed that you even ventured out of the door in the cold (I'm not good with cold weather!!)

    I'm following your blog now too & looking forward to reading more

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to galleries and museums is one of my favourite pastimes. I love the London Galleries but don't get there often enough, it sounds like it was a brilliant exhibition.

    Thank you for popping over to my blog.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete